Kinsky Palace

Kinsky Palace

Address Staroměstské náměstí 12, Praha 1
Website www.ngprague.cz

Current gallery exhibitions

The Collection of Prints and Drawing
Graphic exhibitions, Permanent exhibition

Venue description

Kinský Palace was built in 1755⁠–⁠1765 on the site of three houses with early medieval foundations. The southernmost building, first recorded in 1363, was preceded by a 12th-century Romanesque structure, whose ground floor, constructed of ashlar masonry, is still preserved in the palace’s cellars. After 1560, when the building was in the possession of the Lords Trčka of Lípa and later on of Příchovský of Hodějov, the structure underwent modifications in the Renaissance style. The north section of the palace was built in the second third of the 13th century. Due to the way of life in the Middle Ages, the original ground floor has been preserved in what are now the underground cellars, including an early Gothic groin vault.

The two buildings were first connected in 1508, when they were rented by Albrecht of Kolowraty. Around 1583, the north wing underwent major reconstruction that included the installation of a balcony on the main façade. At the latest in 1750, the north section was purchased by Count Jan Arnošt Golz, who, before 1755, bought and added to it the south wing, thus definitely joining the two. By the time the palace was sold to Franz Ulrich Kinský in 1768, the edifice had acquired its final appearance and was perhaps also decorated with statuary by I. F. Platzer. In the 1830s, the palace was further extended when the north (left-side) building No. 607 (with preserved Gothic cellars) was attached to it and adapted in the Neoclassical style. The palace complex is comprised of the main building facing the square, a left wing, a transverse wing, a building on Týnská Street, and lateral wings. The rear building on Týnská Street dates from 1838, and so do the Late Neoclassical modifications of the façades. In the 1830s, both palace courtyards were adapted, with the rear courtyard originally serving as access to the outbuildings. A fountain with a rectangular cistern has survived there. The palace has been under the administration of the National Gallery Prague since 1949.

Transportation

Tell us the street or nearest stop from where you would like to get to the venue.

Similar venues

National Gallery Prague
Trade Fair Palace
Schwarzenberg palace
Waldstein Riding School
Convent of St. Agnes of Bohemia
Sternberg palace
Salm Palace
Imperial Stables of Prague Castle
Ball Game Hall of Prague Castle
Rudolph Gallery at Prague Castle
Lapidary of the National museum
Clam–Gallas Palace

© 2022 GoOut, s.r.o., Czechia