The Municipal Library of Prague, situated in Mariánské Square, was built between 1925 and 1928 according to the design of architect František Roith, student of the professor of the Vienna Academy and foremost architect, Otto Wagner. The building was conceived as a cultural institution providing wide possibilities for its use, including exhibition, lecture and concert halls.
The eastern wing of the building houses a representative suite of Prague mayors, furnished in the Art Deco style. The buildingʼs architecture departs from a rather rationally conceived ground plan and simple arrangement of mass. The allegorical sculptures above the main entrance and the balcony balustrade were executed by Ladislav Kofránek. The façade is covered in travertine which was also applied in the interior decoration along with brass and artificial stone. The author of the ornamental geometric decoration on the ceiling of the central hall is František Kysela.
The extensive exhibition spaces on the 2nd floor were acquired by Prague City Gallery in 1992. They subsequently underwent thorough reconstruction and today serve the purpose of housing leading Prague exhibitions. The adaptations included a new artistic solution of the main entrance to the Gallery from Valentinská Street, designed by architect Vlado Milunič in 1996.
Podaj ulicę, lub najbliższy przystanek, z którego chcesz się dostać na miejsce wydarzenia. Pokażemy Ci najlepsze połączenia.