The Warsaw Chamber Opera is a musical institution that traces its history 50 years back to 1961 when it was founded by Stefan Sutkowski, who would later become its long time managing and artistic director. La serva padrona by G.B. Pergolesi was the first premiere staged by the Opera on the 4th of September 1961. The Warsaw Chamber Opera’s repertoire is remarkable for its large diversity of musical styles and forms of featured stage plays, ranging from Medieval mystery plays, early and late baroque operas, classical operas, or 18th century pantomimes.
Since October 15th 1986, the Warsaw Chamber Opera has performed in its own theatre hall, a historic building dated back to 1775, located at al. Solidarności 76b.
The Chamber Opera’s residence with its intimate interior and excellent acoustics has been listed in the register of monuments of the city of Warsaw.
At present the artists of the Warsaw Chamber Opera consist of conductors (Ruben Silva, Zbigniew Graca, Tadeusz Karolak among others), soloists, two orchestras – the Sinfonietta of the Warsaw Chamber Opera and the Period Instruments Ensemble Musicae Antiquae Collegium Varsoviense – and a chorus.